Remember when I wrote about the Science Museum's adults-only night, Social Science? Well, they're doing it again next week, and it sounds like it's going to be a hoot. Book tickets ahead--this is a popular event, and the lines to buy tickets at the door were very long last time.
Next Social Science: In the Dark
Thursday, February 7, 2013
6 p.m. - 10 p.m.
Explore a darkened museum and all that glows, flickers and shines this Social Science. It's the museum like you've never seen it before. With laser mazes, LED jewelry, the latest technologies in reflective gear, light painting and light art, we're playing in every dark corner. Fill up your glass, then fill up your brain!
Flashlights provided for the first 1,000 attendees.
Social Science: In the Dark activities will include:
- Real-time light painting with Ax-Man Surplus;
- Electric Bling, a make-your-own LED ring activity;
- Johan Sebastian Joust, a no-graphics, digitally-enabled game in which the goal is to be the last player standing;
- Lights and laser games, including a laser mirror maze;
- An appearance by SeaLife Minnesota, where visitors will learn amazing facts about the world underwater and discover how creatures in the deep glow;
- Interactive vision games showing the science behind visibility. Visitors will find out how retro-reflectivity works and how it’s created from 3M™ Scotchlite™ material experts;
- An exploration of molecular gastronomy and nanotechnology via glowing Gummis with the Nanoscale Informal Science Education Network;
- Music provided by DJ SimoneDuJour and DJ Ianism;
- Live theater performances by the Science Museum’s Science Live Theatre group;
- Trivia contests (with prizes!) from Trivia Mafia;
- Cash bars and food sampling from local vendors, including Theo Chocolate, Mississippi Market Natural Foods, French Meadow, Sweet Science Ice Cream, YoYo Donuts & Coffee Bar, and TeaSource.
Tickets will be sold at the doors on February 7 or can be purchased in advance by calling (651) 221-9444 or (800) 221-9444.